Street Photography: Night Version




To be honest, I was quite nervous before starting this assignment because I thought that night photography was probably one of the hardest thing to do. Since there's low amount of light, I have to calculate the ISO, the shutter speed and also the aperture to make sure the image will come through after it's processed. I tried to use a light meter app to find the perfect setting but I had no idea how to use it. I was really worried about messing up my film with images that are too dark because I didn't feel like re-shooting. 



For the assignment, I went to the Jalan Alor food street and it was my first time being there. I didn't even know such place existed. Part of the reason why I love photography is because I get to explore places that I've never been to and capture all these new photos. I was excited when I got there because the place was very lively with people enjoying their food. There were also a lot of foreigners as it was a tourist attraction place. I was actually surprised that there were so many people which means there was a lot of opportunities to take pictures of. I would totally recommend this place for tourists as there are a variety of good food restaurants to choose. 




One of the best things about the place is the Chinese lanterns that they hung up on the street lamp posts. The lanterns were hang along the street and it creates such a beautiful scene as the red colours light up the dark sky. When I first got there, it was the first thing I noticed and I got attracted to the place because of the gorgeous scene. Jalan Alor is an extraordinary place to shoot because of the lantern decorations and the vast ethnicities and food that are there. 



Out of all the pictures that I took,  I feel that the most interesting ones are these two above because it shows the character of these two men and what they do as a living. You can see that the first man sells bamboo juices because he has a bundle of them and he's cutting the sticks. I love the leading line from the bamboo sticks that leads you to the man. I also like the background of the first photo because you can see the lanterns in the sky and the people eating behind him. The second photo shows a man on a wheelchair making crafts with wire. I was curious on what he was making as he had made several different type of things that were displayed on the table like a bicycle, a car and others. I like the composition of the photo because the man standing on the right and the phone displays stops you from looking away the middle of the photo which is where the man on the wheelchair is.

No comments:

Post a Comment